[wix-users] RebootPending + FilesInUse

Bob Arnson bob at firegiant.com
Tue Aug 6 11:00:59 PDT 2019

https://github.com/wixtoolset/issues/issues/5332

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-users <wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org> On Behalf Of Jacques Eloff via wix-users
Sent: Tuesday, 6 August, 2019 13:43
To: WiX Toolset Users Mailing List <wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Cc: Jacques Eloff <repstosd at gmail.com>
Subject: [wix-users] RebootPending + FilesInUse

Hi

I'm testing a managed BA and looking at its behavior around reboots, etc..
In one instance, a dummy MSI returned 3010. However launching the bundle a second time reports RebootPending=0, but after calling Engine.Apply I'm getting ERROR_FAIL_NOACTION_REBOOT, which indicates there is a pending reboot.

Do I need to perform additional checks? I looked at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager and there is an entry for PendingFileRenameOperations (seems to be coming from Defender). I know things like renaming a machine can cause pending reboots too when changing between domains/workgroup. Do I need to query that? What about SCCM, CBS, WU, MU?

Related to this, I was trying to test FilesInUse behavior. Is there a good way to force this result for testing purposes. I created an MSI that installed a simple console app. The app was running and I had my MSI replace the app with a newer version, but that just generated a 3010 exit code.

Thanks,
Jacques