[wix-users] PlanPackageBegin: How can CustomBA know whether there are dependents?

Reuss, Matthias matthias.mr.reuss at sivantos.com
Mon Aug 19 02:45:40 PDT 2019

Hi there,

on uninstallation of our bundle, CustomBA needs to know whether or not a package is going to be uninstalled from the engine's point of view. The reason behind this is that we have to do a dependency check against some legacy (non-WiX) bundles, which is not compatible with Burn dependencies by itself.

PlanPackageBeginEventArgs.State is not the full truth, though.

For such a package that has another dependency, the uninstall log (in this case, it is the uninstall during a bundle upgrade, but I do not think that matters) says:

[0B84:0CD4][2019-08-19T09:53:12]w327: Will not uninstall package: MyPackage, found dependents: 1

And some lines later:

[0B84:0CD4][2019-08-19T09:53:12]i201: Planned package: MyPackage, state: Superseded, default requested: Absent, ba requested: Absent, execute: None, rollback: None, cache: No, uncache: No, dependency: Unregister

And in fact (I checked it), PlanPackageBeginEventArgs.State is Absent.

So is there a way for the CustomBA to know whether or not the engine is planning to uninstall the package? Or a way to know whether or not dependents have been found?

Best regards

Matthias Reuss