[wix-users] Checking for Product A before installing Product B

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Tue Apr 23 14:13:43 PDT 2019

I'd recommend using Upgrade element.

From: wix-users <wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org> On Behalf Of Swatantra Yadav via wix-users
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 1:58 PM
To: Jacques Eloff <repstosd at gmail.com>; WiX Toolset Users Mailing List <wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Cc: Swatantra Yadav <swatantra.yadav at skykick.com>
Subject: Re: [wix-users] Checking for Product A before installing Product B

The component is guaranteed to be in Product A. The code below is of Product B. Since I generated the Guid it is not shared by any external Product C.

I initially wanted to use RegistrySearch to look for Product A install but found out for some reason the registry key does not get removed even if Product A has been uninstalled. So I am not using Registry Search. The component is getting removed on uninstall. The file is removed and I did not find the Guid in registry after uninstall so ComponentSearch seems like better option for me I think as it will correctly exist only if Product A is currently installed. But yes given a choice it would be nice to use a RegistrySearch instead.

Thanks
Swat