[wix-users] Repackaging with WiX?

Blair Murri osito at live.com
Wed Apr 17 10:11:12 PDT 2019

Many years ago, when MSFT wasn't yet installing .NET Framework onto XP boxes via Windows Update, I looked at shipping a configured app (for the app's own maker) via MSI for their customers who needed a per-user installation option. Then they informed me that their app required .NET and there was no guarantee that the box had the required version installed, so we kept the before/after snapshot tool and used it to feed into an application virtualization system's packaging toolset instead.

I know that some repackagers have used WiX as part of their tooling, but none had released any code publicly that I've ever noticed. The idea is very plausible, although there are several things most repackagers tend to do that really cause problems, and automation alone isn't likely to improve that.

I trust Chris to have good advice on the subject. If you're serious you should talk to him.