[wix-users] Way to delete all files during uninstallation of product from installation path

Christopher Painter chrpai at iswix.com
Thu Apr 4 04:08:21 PDT 2019

The files are being left their by design as they are user data.  MSI only uninstalls what it knows about.

If the files are in a fixed, known named set of subdirectories you can use the RemoveFile element to wildcard delete the contents of each of those folders.

http://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/xsd/wix/removefile.html

If they are in a non-fixed, unkown named set of subdirectories you can use the RemoveFilesEx element found in the Util extension.

http://www.joyofsetup.com/2011/01/21/tactical-directory-nukes/
http://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/xsd/util/removefolderex.html

Another note,  if the application is creating it's temp files, log files and so on under ProgramFiles  then this is probably a design flaw.  If you move them to a more suitable location such as CommonAppData and TEMP folders   then you won't see anything extra in ProgramFiles and the cleanup requirement will likely go away.