[wix-users] Font Installation problem

Todd Hoatson todd.hoatson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 14:00:22 PDT 2019

We have an app that has gone through multiple versions.  It includes data
in several minority languages, and it installs the necessary fonts for
displaying that data.  An older version of the app installed 3 of these 6
fonts.  The most recent version installed 3 more.  Now I'm testing the
installer for the new version of the app, which includes updated versions
for 2 of these fonts.

Here's the scenario

      App  v7.5    v8.0     v9.0
Font  A    v4.106  -        v5.0
      B    v11.0   -        -
      C    v4.106  -        v5.0
      D            v1.0     -
      E            v2.1     -
      F            v2007.0  -
('-' means no change in the font version)

We have a custom action to test the version numbers of installed fonts, and
if the font in the installer package is newer than one already installed,
our custom action attempts to delete the font and sets a property to flag
that the font should be installed.

What we are finding is that this doesn't always work.  In some environments
it works fine, but on our test machine we have been having problems with
fonts A & C:

Can't delete C:/WINDOWS/FONTS/FontA.TTF due to an exception: Access to the
path 'C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\FontA.TTF' is denied.

(The message for Font C is similar.)

So, our test scenario is to install v7.5 of our app, and then to upgrade
directly to v9.0.  To summarize the result: when installing v9 of our app
on the test machine, Font B is left unchanged, Fonts D, E & F are
installed, and Fonts A & B encounter errors.  (I hope that's clear
enough...)

On my personal system, I didn't encounter this problem.  Has anyone come
across a problem like this with installing fonts?  If so, is there a way to
overcome it?  Or is there a better forum for posting an issue like this?

thanks,
Todd