[wix-users] Help with bootstrapper UI

Linda Barnhart lbarnhart at timevalue.com
Fri Sep 21 14:23:00 PDT 2018

Hello! I am a newbie to Wix and somewhat confused and overwhelmed. I have a
working installer that I generated using InstallShield so not completely
new to creating an installer.

I’ve been tasked with creating an installer for another of our products
using Wix. There are prerequisites that need to be installed for this
product and I need an exe as the output. I am working in Visual Studio 2017
Community. I installed WiX Toolset v3.11. I have a working solution that
includes a setup project and a bundle/bootstrapper project (which uses
<BootstrapperApplicationRef
Id="WixStandardBootstrapperApplication.RtfLicense"><bal:WixStandardBootstrapperApplication>
to display a EULA and logo), an exe is generated when I build, and when the
exe is run I get a very limited user interface that does install the
prerequisites and product when finished. Yay!

I now need to add at least 2 additional dialogs to the user interface. What
is the best way to do this? I was hoping I could use the WixUI_FeatureTree
UI and just tweak it and add additional dialogs (as it appears to be pretty
straightforward). If I understood correctly, I believe I can go back and
add the WixUI_FeatureTree UI to my setup project, get it all working there,
and then hook it into my bootstrapper project. Is that correct? If so, how
do I “hook” it in? Is there a better way to accomplish this? I read some
articles about creating a totally custom UI, but it was quite confusing to
me.