[wix-users] Install Assembly to GAC without removing from the Target Directory

Ven H venh.123 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 02:57:53 PDT 2018

When we add Assembly=".net" attribute to a File element in WiX which points
to an assembly, it gets deployed to Global Assembly Cache. Even though it
gets deployed to GAC properly, it removes this file from the Target folder.
Is there a way to stop this from happening and maintain it in both GAC and
Target folder.

There are some workarounds like creating additional components for the same
file but maintain a copy of such files again in another folder so that key
path is maintained properly and the other solution is to install assemblies
to GAC using a custom action. But I am not so keen on using these. Please
help / advise.