[wix-users] MSMQ issue during DB install

Ven H venh.123 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 10:05:18 PDT 2018

Ok. I found a way around. Here it goes.

I searched for "Failed to load mqrt.dll" message in the Wix Source Code. I
found it in src\ext\MsmqExtension\ca\mqsched\mqsched.cpp. It is inside 2
custom actions MessageQueuingInstall and MessageQueuingUninstall. I
searched for these custom actions further in the source code. I found
references in src\ext\MsmqExtension\wixlib\MsmqExtension.wxs. In this file,
I found the following lines.

<InstallExecuteSequence>
      <Custom Action="MessageQueuingUninstall" After="DeleteServices"
Overridable="yes">VersionNT >= 500</Custom>
      <Custom Action="MessageQueuingInstall" Before="InstallServices"
Overridable="yes">VersionNT >= 500</Custom>
 </InstallExecuteSequence>

Since these are overridable, I included them in my wxs file and modified
the condition to suit my requirements, as below.

<Custom Action="MessageQueuingInstall"
Before="InstallServices"><![CDATA[(NOT REMOVE~="ALL") AND (INSTALL_APP =
"1")]]></Custom>
 <Custom Action="MessageQueuingUninstall"
After="DeleteServices"><![CDATA[(REMOVE~="ALL") AND (!AppFeature =
3)]]></Custom>

 And it worked. Thanks a lot to all of you for your help. Hope this helps
someone. This solution avoids writing a custom action and also avoids
installing MSMQ.