[wix-users] IIS App Pool Settings not retained during Major Upgrade

Ronny Eriksson ronny.eriksson at optimity.se
Mon Oct 1 00:19:07 PDT 2018

I do not know why it changes but what I would say is that it is good if you need to do important changes like changing the .NET version on the AppPool since the application might not work without it.
I see what you mean that you might not wait to change the small changes like the IdleTimeout.
Maybe you should just put in a condition to say that you don't what the AppPool to be created/changed if your application already is installed.
That way the custom changes will stay and if there is any special changes you NEED to get in in a upgrade then put in it and just prompt in the installation that it might have overwritten the AppPool and you need to check custom changes.

From my experience as a technical consultant working with customers IT department for 15-20 years, lost count by now... 😊, is that IT wants control over their things and the changes they done in most cases.
So eider letting them know that the AppPool has changed during the update/upgrade, and that they will have to check it, or not changing it during updates/upgrades, and manually doing the change after the update/upgrade, is the best practice.

It's not always the best way to do EVERYTHING in the installation package, sometimes is letting the one that does the install know what to do or what to check for is the better way.

Ronny Eriksson