[wix-users] harvesting COM registration data

Christopher Painter chrpai at iswix.com
Fri Nov 30 08:06:00 PST 2018

I processed the EXE with InstallShield / dark  and sent you the wxs back

My memory of COM is fading and wouldn't dare answering detailed questions.  I just remember enough to know how to make it work and to know that I prefer not to anymore.

Every now and then every COM harvester will fail.  In those situations I get  product installed on a clean VM and use a registry snapshot/diff utility to capture  the before/after of a COM registration.   Every now and then there will be one or two more registry values  that the harvester missed.  Author that into the WXS and  rebuild,  revert the VM and retest.    Eventually it'll work perfectly.