[wix-users] How Windows Installer creates unique S-1-5-18 value when my program is installed for all users

David Wathen DWathen at syncroness.com
Tue Nov 13 17:33:35 PST 2018

Hi,

I'm trying to programmatically determine if my program has been installed for all users or not.

I have done a bunch of googling and one answer I found was to see if the product code exists under

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18

I can see that when I install my application and specify all users, from a Visual Studio Installer Project based installer, a
Registry entry is created under the S-1-5-18 key.

However, the unique GUID value that it is listed directly under S-1-5-18 doesn't match my product code GUID.

Does anyone know how this unique identifier is created or how I can determine what mine is for my application?

Thanks so much,

David

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it may contain confidential information that is legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this transmission is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender. Please destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading or saving in any manner.