[wix-users] Versioning for Continuous Automated Builds

Dzmitry Razhanski Dzmitry_Razhanski at epam.com
Wed May 30 08:30:03 PDT 2018

Hi!

>1. Should I create a Patch or a Major Upgrade or a Minor Upgrade? Honestly, I am not sure how to create a Minor Upgrade though.
You could create full installation package or a patch to the installation package.
As you want to automate it, I think it is better to have full installation package for each build and send it to users if you want.

Which upgrade happens depends on which package is already installed and new one. Probably this link will be helpful to compare different types of upgrade - http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield22helplib/helplibrary/MajorMinorSmall.htm

If packages have the same Upgrade code, but different Product codes it will be MajorUpgrade.
Minor Upgrade means that Product codes are the same. Versions also should be different but the same versions numbers also could be used.
And Major Upgrade is simpler to use because it removes all files from old package and installs files from new one automatically.
No need to uninstall previously installed version and install the new manually.

You could just set Product and Package ID to be autogenerated (set '*' instead of guid) and all packages will be use Major Upgrade during update.

>2. How should I manage versions in this case?
Wix have option which Allow upgrade the same version. If you use it, it is not important how you will update version.
Or you need to increase it in each build (x.y.z, x.y.z+1, ...)

Best regards,
         Dzmitry Razhanski.

We have a requirement to generate MSI for automated builds. So, whenever code check-ins happen in SCM (this will also involve changes in Database scripts which have to be executed, IIS changes, registry changes, GAC changes, COM registration  etc. in addition to files), Jenkins will trigger a job at regular intervals by polling for changes in SCM. When this job runs, it has to create MSI. I have a couple of questions related to this.

1. Should I create a Patch or a Major Upgrade or a Minor Upgrade? Honestly, I am not sure how to create a Minor Upgrade though.

2. How should I manage versions in this case?

Please help with your inputs.