[wix-users] MSI logging

Fyodor Koryazhkin fyodorkor at gmail.com
Tue May 29 10:52:29 PDT 2018

Hi,
The option !
"!" is very helpful for debugging purposes of custom actions. Some times
attaching the debugger is not possible, then your custom action writes to
log as many time as you want. Without "!" option these lines could be
messed up with regular log writing. Also you can pop up the message box in
custom action and then your log file shows exact location where pop up
occurs.

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 11:50 AM Christopher Painter via wix-users <

> FWIW, I've needed "!"  one time in 15 years.  An installer engineer sent a
> log file my way that ended abruptly without any errors. It simply mentioned
> creating a restore snapshot and that was the end of it.
>

> Adding the "!" revealed that a custom action (no surprise really)  had
> actually started and crashed so hard that it took msiexec down with it.  A
> transform was created to bypass this custom action and everything went fine
> after that.

> "!" means flush after every log write. It is extremely expensive.

>  Short replies here. Complete answers over there:
> http://www.firegiant.com/
> WiX Support | WiX Experts and Resources from FireGiant<
> http://www.firegiant.com/>
> www.firegiant.com
> WiX Support | Installation, Development, Deployment | WiX Experts and
> Resources from FireGiant

Regards,
Fyodor Koryazhkin..