[wix-users] Automatic Updates

Habib Salim habib at hsalim.com
Sun May 20 19:02:44 PDT 2018

Good Morning All,

I am using WiX to install my application - PivotViews.

I want the application to update itself automatically.  Check a designated
location for an installer; if newer,update, else quit.

Because users cannot be counted on to have admin rights to their machines
even a robocopy type file compare and replace operation won't do. Besides,
a file replace solution will violate WindowsInstaller rules (reference
checking?) and that might cause problems - such as a rollback to a
previous version.

About the only thing I can think of is to create a windows service that
checks for updates periodically - once daily should be sufficient.  The
updater service, If installed with admin rights can run the install with
elevated credentials, which, to me, seems to solve all issues.

As the install base grows, it is becoming increasingly difficult to roll
out updates to users.  We roll out updates often - new
features/improvements and bug fixes of course.
If I can automate updates, I'd love to adopt a continuous delivery model
and send out updates once a week.

I found this:
https://github.com/ravibpatel/AutoUpdater.NET
Looks like a robocopy operation.

And this
https://wyday.com/wybuild/

would appreciate your suggestions and guidance.

Regards
Habib