[wix-users] Validation for Controls in Dialogs

Edwin Castro egcastr at gmail.com
Wed May 16 11:19:13 PDT 2018

Reminder that UI in MSI is implemented by the Windows Installer engine
itself and is data driven by a description of the UI elements in tables in
the MSI. All actions to be taken that are not standard actions must be
implemented via custom actions. This is the architecture of the Windows
Installer engine.

I'd guess the difficulty in implementing reusable custom actions that could
be contributed back to WiX is that you'd have to tell those custom actions
which properties to validate and how they are to be validated. I suspect
once you make those bits parameters, the custom action really doesn't do
much on its own other than getting properties and setting properties. In
the end it is probably not worth the effort.

If you wrap your MSI in a burn bundle, then you could implement your own
bootstrapper application providing whatever UI you want implemented in
whatever UI framework you want and that framework could provide lots of
validation goodies for you.

--
Edwin G. Castro