[wix-users] Meaning of ^ symbol in Wix Custom Action Value attribute

Edwin Castro egcastr at gmail.com
Tue May 15 07:28:34 PDT 2018

I use ^ as the escape character in CMD. For example, when I am working with
subversion and I am inside a working copy I could use ^ like so
^/branches/my_branch but in CMD that looks like /branches/my_branch which
is not found on my local drive. I have to escape ^ like so
^^/branches/my_branch for it to work. I expect you can escape the end of
line with ^ to continue a long command on the next line just like you use \
in bash but I've never tried it before.

My bet was going to be that it was being used as a delimiter since escaping
a new line really is helpful to humans writing scripts. CMD has a command
line length limit and I don't expect you can make it longer by escaping
anything. I expect the ^ would actually do nothing unless the first
characters in the values to those properties where considered special by
CMD, for example a new line or ^.

We really are guessing here because we don't know anything about how the
resulting property is used. The only sure thing we can say is what
Christopher said, "^ has no meaning in MSI." Anything else is just a guess.

--
Edwin G. Castro

On Tue, May 15, 2018, 06:58 Russell Haley via wix-users <