[wix-users] Quiet Execution CA Documentation Issue

Joel McBeth Joel.McBeth at zuerchertech.com
Fri Mar 30 12:50:09 PDT 2018

I don’t know where I got InstallExecute from, I thought it was a built in action. The point I am at now is I have the SetProperty action scheduled after InstallInitialize. Also the command action is only intended to run on an update so the file should already exist. I’ve added a condition on WIX_UPGRADE_DETECTED for that. Although I think it would make sense to do it on an uninstall instead since I only do major upgrades, unfortunately I already have installs out in the wild that won’t do this on uninstall.

This is what I am at now:
    <SetProperty Id="StopSolr" Value=""[INSTALLDIR]bin\solr.cmd" stop -all" Before="StopSolr" Sequence="execute">
      <!--<![CDATA[WIX_UPGRADE_DETECTED]]>-->
    </SetProperty>
    <CustomAction Id="StopSolr" BinaryKey="WixCA" DllEntry="WixQuietExec64" Execute="deferred" Return="check" Impersonate="no" />

    <InstallExecuteSequence>
      <Custom Action="StopSolr" After="InstallInitialize">
        <!--<![CDATA[WIX_UPGRADE_DETECTED]]>-->
      </Custom>
    </InstallExecuteSequence>

Which seems to run where I want it, I think. Unfortunately, I can’t get it to run the custom action as 64-bit even with the platform set to x64. But that’s an entirely different issue I’m still looking into.

The bit about [#solr.cmd.file.id<http://solr.cmd.file.id>] is a good idea, I will have to try that. I was trying to find a better way to get that path, to make sure the file actually exists and I was unable so I just used INSTALLDIR.