[wix-users] Issues with Component with Auto Generated GUID

Ven H venh.123 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 02:58:45 PDT 2018

Thank you all. Appreciate the time and efforts you all have taken to
provide your valuable inputs. Unfortunately, the situation is what it is
right now. It may not be possible to change it right away. But, the client
is already in the process of rewriting the whole stuff. But as per the
current situation, they have made some mistakes like having more than 1
file in a single component. Also, the Component Guid is assigned a new guid
using c# utility. So, their component IDs change with every build. After
deploying their MSI at their end customer, the end customer has changed one
of the files in the target. So, now the expectation is this file should not
be overwritten, but other files which are part of the same component should
get replaced during the major upgrade. I have tried various combinations of
Schedule attribute values, but they work only if the Component ID remains
the same between install and upgrade. If not, in some cases, the folder
containing the files gets removed during the upgrade and gets recreated
only when the upgrade installer is run the 2nd time. I am not sure why this
is happening. Given this requirement, I am trying to understand if anyone
has come across a similar situation in the past and if so, how you handled
it. Also, even though, I have mentioned 1 component with 4 files, in the
actual case, there are many components and files. Hence backing up through
custom action and restoring them will be very difficult.

Regards,
Venkatesh