[wix-users] Issues with Component with Auto Generated GUID

Edwin Castro egcastr at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 10:23:28 PDT 2018

Component GUID auto generation should be stable, meaning the same GUID
should be generated, if the keypath is "stable". Without stability, then
auto generation wouldn't work properly in upgrades.

You are in a bad place. The decision on whether the non-keypath resources
are installed or not depends on whether the keypath resource has a newer
version and will get installed. *All* decisions are made based on the
keypath. The only way to avoid overwriting the config is to not update the
keypath (presumably the exe) which kind of defeats the upgrade...

Chris provided one possible way to avoid this kind of problem in the
future. His suggestion is accepted as best practice by setup experts.

On how dig yourself out of your current predicament... You'll need to get
creative.

First, I'd advocate for best practices and work toward changing the
application so that the installer installs (and manages) a "template"
config and the application is responsible for creating an instance of the
config (in %ProgramData% since %ProgramFiles% is supposed to be read-only)
that which can be modified by sysadmins. The application will also need to
be responsible for migrating data. In other words, if a schema change
occurs between version 1 and version 3 of the config, then the application
will need to have a mechanism for applying those changes (diff) without
loosing user settings.

Second, (this is where creativity comes into play) you'll need to
transition the current installation into one where resources appear in the
correct components. You might still decide to keep the exe and the template
config in the same component since the schema of the template config,
presumably, doesn't change without a change to the exe. Perhaps you decide
that having exe and config in separate components makes more sense. In any
case, if you decide to change the current 4-file component in anyway, then
you'll need to ensure the new components have different GUIDs *AND* you
*MUST* use a MarjorUpgrade scheduled afterInstallInitialize. That means the
new component for the original keypath *must* have a different GUID which
will probably need to be hard-coded as opposed to auto-generated since the
auto-generation would likely still produce the same GUID. The specifics
here will depend on your strategy and you're strategy will depend on how
you are able to change the application *and* installer.

If your efforts to improve (correct really) the application design fails,
then your only option left might be to write custom actions to
1. backup current config
2. allow installer to overwrite current config
3. migrate user data from backup config to real config

Of course, you'll need to take rollback in to account (that means some
combination of install rollback, uninstall rollback, repair rollback,
upgrade rollback) as well and how all of these custom actions need to be
conditioned appropriately to make sure they run at the appropriate times.

Note, the code for migrating user data gets written (slightly differently)
regardless of whether the application does this or whether the installer
does this. The execution environment for MSI installers is limited so you
really don't want this code in the installer simply because the developers
were ignorant of the need for that functionality in the application itself.

<rant audience="universe">
Setup development really *must* be a conversation with application
development. Generally speaking application developers (or product owners)
do not have enough understanding of setup concerns to make good decisions
on their own. In my opinion, it is the responsibility of setup developers
to educate and guide application developers (and product owners) in the
same way that QA professionals have a responsibility to educate and guide
application developers (and product owners) in how to bake in testability
and quality rather than trying to bolt it on after the fact.
</rant>

--
Edwin G. Castro

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 9:54 AM, Ven H via wix-users <