[wix-users] Custom Progress Dialog

Ven H venh.123 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 09:39:47 PST 2018

If I have many script files and I want to show the detailed progress of the
individual files, then as per the FireGiant tutorial, (link below), we can
use the ActionData. I am trying to achieve this, but not sure, if it is
working or not, or the Custom Progress dialog is even showing or not.

https://www.firegiant.com/wix/tutorial/user-interface-revisited/is-this-progress/

Regards,
Venkatesh

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 12:26 AM, Edwin Castro <egcastr at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I'm reading the source code for the version of Wix I'm using
> (wix39r2rtm) correctly, then a progress message is posted after each script
> is executed. I would imagine you don't have to do anything special to get
> the progress bar to increase after each script is executed. There is no
> text message associated with the progress message (which just updates the
> progress bar).
>
> There is a localized ProgressText for Action="ExecuteSqlStrings" which is
> the custom action that executes the sql scripts. Then English string is
> "Executing SQL Strings". If I'm understanding this all correctly, then the
> progress dialog will display "Executing SQL Strings" while the sql scripts
> are executing and the progress bar will increase by the amount indicated by
> COST_SQL_STRING (which is 5000) after each script is executed.
>
> --
> Edwin G. Castro
>

> On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 10:26 AM, Edwin Castro <egcastr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What does "show the progress of each script file" mean?
>>
>> I would expect that *IF* SqlScript posts progress messages, then it
>> probably can only (at most) post one progress message before running the
>> script and one after running the script. The SqlScript custom action source
>> code will show whether it posts any progress messages or not.
>>
>> --
>> Edwin G. Castro
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 10:02 AM, Ven H via wix-users <
>> wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to execute many SQL scripts as part of my MSI. During
>>> installation, I have to show the progress of each script file. The
>>> default
>>> Progress Dialog runs quickly and doesn't show the progress of individual
>>> scripts. I read that subscribing to ActionData event will help me achieve
>>> this. So, I opened up the source code of WiX and copied the