[wix-users] Installation of assembly into GAC isn´t forced by WIX

jsrustad at charter.net jsrustad at charter.net
Fri Jun 22 15:26:05 PDT 2018

Let's see if this works better...
> Unfortunately Microsoft didn´t change the AssemblyVersion of these
assemblies between the two versions (it´s always 6.0.0.0). We don´t
have an idea why they did this...
This is done to avoid changing the publicly exposed interface. This
allows updating the assemblies used by all applications in one fell
swoop. There are lots of arguments as to whether this is a good idea.
   A comment from Heath Stewart on a blog post from back in 2010
provides a good clue on how to fix this:
=====================
@Kiran, if that works, great. But it's not a documented sequence of
RemoveExistingProducts so I can't really recommend it, nor can I
recommend against it.  To populate the fileVersion "attribute" in the
MsiAssemblyName table, it depends on your build environment. If using
WiX, pass the -fv switch. In a .wixproj, add the following to a
PropertyGroup:   True
=====================
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/heaths/2010/04/09/major-upgrades-with-shared-components/
[1]
   Searching for SetMsiAssemblyNameFileVersion will bring up more
information on what this does.
   I have been using SetMsiAssemblyNameFileVersion in a installers for
a number of years and it works fine.
   jsr

Links:
------