[wix-users] Unable to Uninstall Patch

Ven H venh.123 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 06:22:05 PDT 2018

So, I think I need to explain a little more. I have an MSI which has a text
file in a component and SqlScript element in a different component. In this
SqlScript element, I am creating a table with 2 columns. I install this MSI
and the text file is created and the SqlScript is executed to create the
table with 2 columns in the Database.

Now, I am adding another SqlScript element (here I am creating another
table with 2 columns) in a new component and also making a slight change in
the sample text file. With this, I create the patch using the Patch
Creation Properties approach. The patch gets created successfully and also
gets installed. After installation, I can see the new table created and the
sample text file modified. But now, when I go to Installed Updates, the
Uninstall option is missing for this patch, even though, I specify
AllowRemoval=yes.

Now, instead of adding another SqlScript element, if I just modify the
existing SqlScript (I mean the binary sql file content), by altering the
table or adding another create table statement inside it, the patch doesn't
seem to apply these changes, although, now the Uninstall option is
available and I can uninstall the patch. I am not able to understand this.

So, I have a couple of questions.

1. Why does the Uninstall option disappear for a Patch when a new Component
is added? I am actually not removing a component, but adding one. So, I am
not sure, if I am breaking the Component rules.

2. How do we Patch SqlScript elements? It is possible that, after
installation, the developer will make a small change in one of the sql
files. For this small change, I don't want to do a full upgrade.

Please help.

Regards,
Venkatesh