[wix-users] Referring a fragment contained in a wixlib

Reuss, Matthias matthias.mr.reuss at sivantos.com
Tue Jul 24 03:53:23 PDT 2018

Hello,

Meanwhile I could figure out what went wrong here:

My code does not contain CustomActionRef tags, but of course several Custom action sequencing tags (<Custom Action="foo" ...>)

Within the product in question, there is a custom action with the same name as a custom action that is defined in a fragment of the wixlib not referred to elsewhere. This custom action is also sequenced within the product.

At link time, this "implicit" reference to the CustomAction is treated the same way as an explicit CustomActionRef. Thus, the linker tries to resolve it and searches through all available object files, even though there is a CustomAction tag resolving this reference within the same fragment. So it does find two matching symbols - one in the same fragment and one in the wixlib.

One reason that this did not become obvious to me right from the beginning is that there are many occurrences of explicit references (...Ref elements) in the documentation, but not of the implicit references.

Best regards,

Matthias Reuss