[wix-users] [WiX-users] SecureCustomProperties and Merge module

Reuss, Matthias matthias.mr.reuss at sivantos.com
Wed Jul 11 07:09:13 PDT 2018

Hello,

I am aware that I am responding to a very old thread, but unfortunately I didn't find newer ones for this topic.

First of all: I do not think a type 51 custom action will not help to make those properties that have been declared secure in the merge modules really secure. This is because of timing:

SecureCustomProperties must be evaluated at the time the MSI is opened (because they determine which command-line parameters are accepted), whereas any type 51 CA is executed much later (in the sequences).

At this evaluation time, SecureCustomProperties is the "original" string regardless of whether or not a type 51 CA will modify it later.

I too consider this behaviour to be a bug, since it prevents defining command-line-settable
 Properties in a merge module.

Best regards

Matthias