[wix-users] Uninstallation issues

Joseph L. Casale jcasale at activenetwerx.com
Wed Jan 31 07:34:19 PST 2018

I have some code generating tooling I use to create packages for several in-house application.
When I install all of them (a normal use case) then uninstall all of them, all the registry, file
and Windows services (if present) are removed, but for some with IIS websites, a few packages
leave the site and pool behind.

After removing all the packages and manually removing the few orphaned sites and pools, then
installing a single package known to leave its site and pool, when I uninstall it everything is
removed properly.

Looking at a log for it when installed in parallel with the others, I see several lines indicating
a refusal to remove some components:

Disallowing uninstallation of component: {B54BA604-7CA9-50F0-87CA-0690231F2C09} since another client exists

When it is installed alone and then removed, all components are removed and the log
entries are obviously not present.

Reading https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/heaths/2009/12/21/about-shared-components/ I
am not certain what to take away, I do not have any shared components as all the files and
registry entries fall under unique parent directories and registry keys (c:\Program Files\< Manufacturer> \<app name>
or HKLM\Software\< Manufacturer> \<app name>), and the sites and pools are all discrete.

In this scenario, what can be a cause of this behavior?

Thanks,
jlc