[wix-users] BurnBootStrapper is not detecting already installed chain item

Edwin Castro egcastr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 09:25:24 PST 2018

An MSI *cannot* upgrade a bundle. The Windows Installer does not know about
bundles, but assuming it did (it doesn't) it still wouldn't make too much
sense for a single MSI within a bundle to cause an entire bundle to
upgrade. Upgrading a bundle, by definition, implies upgrading all MSIs
within the bundle.

The best you can get is an entry in ARP for the bundle *and* an entry in
ARP for each MSI. The customer will see the bundle entry (which I think you
cannot avoid). This will be confusing because the customer won't know what
the bundle is about nor whether they can uninstall it or upgrade it, etc. I
haven't verified this, but I would expect you would not get the
desired/expected behavior when you try to uninstall the bundle if one or
more of the MSIs have been upgraded "standalone".

--
Edwin G. Castro