[wix-users] UI Dialog Changes

Habib Salim habib at hsalim.com
Sat Jan 20 08:41:28 PST 2018

Hi Ven
WIX Cookbook by Nick Ramirez got me off to a good start.  Help from this
mailing list and few websites/blogs on Wix got the job done.

I did all these things (except for removing the print button) in my first
WiX installer, plus a few simple custom actions.

I even built a bootstrapper application to install dependencies (mostly to
install an instance of SQL Server Express/localdb) but dropped it.

You can create custom dialogs and sequence them in the order you like.
These are WinForms forms.
One frustration was the inability to hook into control events. i.e. I
could not find a way to trigger changes in UI based on values entered in
text boxes

You can enable or disable buttons or options based on radio buttons but
you cannot change label text - say "Label text $(variable or property)
blah "
That sort of remains frozen from when the dialog was first created.

I heard that there was a way to force a dialog redraw.  Haven't found it
(yet) because I found ways around that need for now.