[wix-users] Installing a Burn exe from a Windows Service

Hoover, Jacob Jacob.Hoover at greenheck.com
Mon Jan 15 10:17:02 PST 2018

Disclaimer: I don't have any services to deal with, so just picking out a possible difference.

Looking at the docs for Windows Installer, ServiceInstall:

StartName
The service is logged on as the name given by the string in this column. If the service type is SERVICE_WIN32_OWN_PROCESS use an account name in the form: DomainName\UserName. If the account belongs to the built-in domain it is permitted to specify .\UserName. The LocalSystem account must be used if the type of service is SERVICE_WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS or SERVICE_INTERACTIVE_PROCESS. The CreateService function uses the LocalSystem account if StartName is specified as null and most services therefore leave this column blank

Is it valid to use .\Test?

Ref: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms721755%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Built-in domain
  This domain contains default local groups, such as the Administrators and Users groups, that are established when the operating system is installed.
The name of this domain is a localized version of BUILTIN.

Test is not a built-in account.