[wix-users] What is "bind" time? (Was: Re: Empty WixVariable)

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Mon Jan 8 12:18:30 PST 2018

Link does not produce a package. Link produces a single section (merged from the referenced fragments). Bind takes that single section and collects all the “physical content information” (files on disk) to produce a package.

For example: file size, version and hashes are not available until bind.

Another way to think about it. Preprocess, candle, light are fast (working with memory for most part). Bind is slow (working with disk for most part).