[wix-users] MSI File with Multiple Embedded Cabs totaling greater than 2 GB can't be installed

Grant Arnold grant.arnold at safe.com
Mon Jan 8 09:48:47 PST 2018

Right, I did come across that, but that seems to indicate that a single cab
can't be more than 2 GB. In my case I have 25 cab files, none of which are
over 200 MB by themselves, but together total just over 2 GB.

I am now investigating bootstrappers so that I can have the cabs live
outside the installer but still package things up in a single deliverable
file. Interestingly, while testing out Burn I made a very simple burn
project that just packages my installer that is now built without embedding
the cab files. When I try to build this project, I get the error:

light.exe : error LGHT0306 : An error (E_FAIL) was returned while
finalizing a CAB file. This most commonly happens when creating a CAB file
with more than 65535 files in it. Either reduce the number of files in your
installation package or split your installation package's files into more
than one CAB file using the Media element.

However, if I reduce the size of my installer by removing a few of the
larger files and get it to just below 2 GB, then the Burn project doesn't
complain. So it would seem that even Burn executables have this limitation
on how big they can be...

Grant

On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 12:06 PM Walter Dexter via wix-users <