[wix-users] Custom WiX bootstrapper UI templates

Rakesh Reddy Vanga rareddyv at microsoft.com
Mon Feb 26 11:20:12 PST 2018

Hi Guys,

We have an MSI installer that installs our product's CLI on user's machine. I have used WiX burn to create the installer and also bundling another MSI installer in this setup. Here, I'm using a WiX Standard Bootstrapper Application of type: WixStandardBootstrapperApplication.RtfLicense to drive the burn engine.  I've followed this example to create the installer using the burn: https://github.com/wixtoolset/wix3/blob/develop/src/Setup/Bundle/WixStdBundle.wxs.

We are planning to collect some basic telemetry information from this installer, so instead of using the standard WiX BA, I've added a custom bootstrapper application to the burn engine which allows to collect various kinds of information during installation process. I've forked the custom bootstrapper application from: https://github.com/wixtoolset/wix3/tree/develop/src/Setup/WixBA and was able to successfully install our product using this BA. But this BA has a custom UI of WiX product and we are looking for some simple standard UI the one which was achieved using the WixStandardBootstrapperApplication.RtfLicense for BootstrapperApplicationRef. How can I access the implementation of the UI which is being used for the standard BA or are there any simple standard UI that I can use instead of modifying the WiX installer one?
I'm asking for an existing implementation because using an already tested work greatly reduces our implementation time and has the advantage of getting a stable version.

Let me know if you need any further information from me.

Thanks,
Rakesh