[wix-users] Change icon's default location

Gustavo Calheiros gustavorlc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 10:01:42 PST 2018

Hello

I have a project where I definied one icon as below:

<Icon Id="myicon.ico" SourceFile="myicon.ico" />

When the installation finishes, this Icon is stored at
"C:\Windows\Installer\<GUID>\myicon.ico"

So any shortcuts created by the user will reference an icon pointed by this
path with GUID.

The problem is that when I install a new version of the software, another
GUID will be generated, and despite the fact that the shortcut will still
work, its icon will be blank (new installation erases old GUID path and
creates a new one, making the old icon path invalid).

Question: How to make my ICON be stored in the folder where my program is
installed, instead of this GUID path?

Thanks in advance.