[wix-users] DLL files not being updated during Major Upgrade

Brian E brianke at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 14:51:53 PST 2018

I have create a Major upgrade for one of my projects which includes an
updated DLL file (SimpleMVVMToolkit.Express.dll).  When I run the new
installer to upgrade an existing installation, a number of files are
getting updated except the SimpleMVVM dll file.  I have checked the
installation package to verify that the new version (2.0.0) is in the
upgrade installer and I don't believe anything is modifying the file after
the previous version (1.0.0) gets installed with my original installer.

The only thing I can think of is that I have a CustomAction with this
installer that still uses the SimpleMVVM 1.0.0 code as the new code is
causing issues with the CustomAction project.  But the version of
SimpleMVVM declared in the Product.wxs does come from the latter version
(2.0.0).

Could the use of the 1.0.0 version in CustomAction be causing a issue with
the upgrade?

Here is the code showing the relevant pieces:

<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi"
     xmlns:util="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/UtilExtension"
     xmlns:netfx="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/NetFxExtension">
  <Product Id="$(var.Guid)"
           Name="$(var.ProductTitle) $(var.ShortAssyVersion)"
           Language="1033"
           Version="$(var.LongAssyVersion)"
           Manufacturer="$(var.CompanyLegalName)"
           UpgradeCode="$(var.UpgradeCode)">
    <Package InstallerVersion="300"
             Compressed="yes"
             InstallScope="perMachine"
             InstallPrivileges="elevated"
             Comments="$(var.ProductTitle) $(var.LongAssyVersion)"
             Keywords="Version $(var.LongAssyVersion)"/>

        <!-- "afterInstallExecute" will prevent installer from removing
         existing files that have been modified (i.e., config.xml) -->
    <MajorUpgrade Schedule="afterInstallExecute"
                  AllowSameVersionUpgrades="no"
                  DowngradeErrorMessage="A newer version of
$(var.ProductTitle) is already installed." />

    <MediaTemplate EmbedCab="yes" />

    <Feature Id="Complete"
             Title="$(var.ProductTitle) $(var.ShortAssyVersion)"
             Level="1"
             Description="Everything"
             Display="expand"
             ConfigurableDirectory="INSTALL_FOLDER">

      <ComponentGroupRef Id="ProductComponents" />
    </Feature>

. . . .

    <ComponentGroup Id="ProductComponents" Directory="INSTALL_FOLDER">

      <Component Id="SimpleMvvmToolkitExpressDLL">
        <File Id="SimpleMvvmToolkitExpressDLL"

Source="$(var.GarnishmentManager.TargetDir)SimpleMvvmToolkit.Express.dll"
              Vital="yes"
              KeyPath="yes"/>
      </Component>
      </Component>
    </ComponentGroup>
  </Fragment>
</Wix>

Brian

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.  -
Albert Einstein