[wix-users] WiX Bootstrapper App with Instance provision

Hoover, Jacob Jacob.Hoover at greenheck.com
Wed Dec 5 12:21:54 PST 2018

I would assume what SQL Server is doing is Instance transforms and not modifying MSI's on the fly.  Instance transforms are documented, but trying to handle patching/servicing/cleanup of random upgrade codes would be a nightmare.

If you had a predefined list of instances (Production, Testing, Development) then you could create separate bundles for each, but if you need dynamic ones, you might be investing some time writing a WIP and learning the burn code base to be able to implement instance transforms in the engine.