[wix-users] Issue with Default Web Site on uninstalling MSI

Ven H venh.123 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 03:51:48 PDT 2018

I have an MSI through which I am configuring the Default Web site in IIS.
The markup looks like below.

<Component Id="cmpDefaultWebSite"
Guid="4E02DA37-61AE-4648-97A2-3130E7FE50D8" Directory="APP_DIR"
KeyPath="yes">
        <iis:WebSite Id="DefaultWebSite" Description="Default Web Site"
ConfigureIfExists="yes" Directory="wwwroot" AutoStart="yes"
StartOnInstall="yes">
          <iis:WebAddress Id="DefaultWebSiteAddr" Secure="yes" Port="80" />
        </iis:WebSite>
      </Component>

Basically, we are adding some virtual directories and applications in the
Default Web Site, by referring to its Id, like below. There are many
components like below.

<Component Id="cmpData" Guid="3A0FC121-533F-4637-ACC8-465730EB6378"
Directory="APP_DIR" KeyPath="yes">
        <iis:WebVirtualDir Id="Data" WebSite="DefaultWebSite" Alias="Data"
Directory="Data">
          <iis:WebApplication Id="Data" Name="Data"
WebAppPool="CustAppPool" />
        </iis:WebVirtualDir>
      </Component>

Everything works fine as expected. But, when we uninstall the MSI, the
Default Web Site also seems to be getting removed, although the MSI is only
configuring the Default Web Site during installation and not creating it.
So, during uninstall, the expectation is that, it will only rollback its
changes and not remove the Default Web Site.

Can anyone please advise what could be wrong and how to fix it?