[wix-users] Adding file to the install package

Gerhard Matzen gmatzen at osisoft.com
Tue Aug 7 09:46:02 PDT 2018

1 file per component is a general recommendation.  It does not apply to all use cases.  For example you may have app1.exe and app1.exe.config that you always want to package together.

However, when the list of unversioned files grow, you run the risk that the list of files will change over time.  Adding or removing files from a component breaks the component rules outlined by Microsoft, resulting in unexpected behavior for upgrades.

You can use 1 file per component for unversioned files and force them to be upgraded by setting a "fake" version with the "DefaultVersion"  attribute of the File element in Wix.