[wix-users] Pass variables from one custom action to another

Fyodor Koryazhkin fyodorkor at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 03:01:08 PDT 2018

Hi,
The best way to pass data from one CA to another is to use properties. If
your CA that consumes properties is deferred then all properties can be
passed as a string in one property that has ID as your deferred action; and
in your deferred action you retrieve that string reading CustomActionData
property. If your properties hold sensitive data you mark them as hidden
and you add attribute
msidbCustomActionTypeHideTargetto your CA

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 12:48 PM Elena Aralla via wix-users <

> Hi,
>
> I’m using the registry to exchange data between custom actions.
>
> For example, I have a custom action that determines the directory where to
> install the program depending on my business rules.
>
> this CA writes the resulting value in the registry  the custom action that
> installs the database (I’m using SQLCE) reads from the registry the
> directory and uses it to decide where to save the db.
>
> It works!
>
> Is there any drawback or a better way to do this?
>
> Thank you,
> Elena.

Regards,
Fyodor Koryazhkin..