[wix-users] Reschedule RegisrySearch and set property in Merge Module

Farrukh Waheed farrukh1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 23:54:17 PDT 2018

 I have a merge module which searches for some registry locations to read
values and save to Properties. Here is the code segment:

  <Fragment Id="RegSearch">
<Property Id="HOST_APP_PATH" >
  <RegistrySearch Id="HOST_App"
                  Root="HKLM"
                  Key="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\HOST.exe"
                  Name="Path"
                  Type="raw"
                  />
</Property>
<Property Id="HOST_ROOT_PATH" >
  <RegistrySearch Id="HOST_Root"
                  Root="HKLM"
                  Key="SOFTWARE\HostApplication\Installation Info"
                  Name="HOST_Root"
                  Type="raw"
                  />
</Property>

Windows Installer puts this search in AppSearch custom action.

Problem: AppSearch executes this search very early, before
WriteRegistryValues of Host Installer, it won't get any values and
properties with this search won't be defined, because registry to search
was never written there.

Question 1: Can we reschedule this registry search from merge module after
WriteRegistryValues of Host Installer?

Question 2: Is there any other way to search registry after Host Installer
executes WriteRegistryValues? Probably with some custom action?.

Thanks a bunch.