[wix-users] SQL database (sql:SqlDatabase)

Carlos Sosa carlos.sosa.us at outlook.com
Wed Sep 13 15:30:09 PDT 2017

Yes, the CreateTable file is available via :
<Binary Id='CreateTable' SourceFile='CreateTable.sql' />

When I installed the SQL I used this:

InstallCommand="/QUIETSIMPLE /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /SAPWD=sapassword /ACTION=Install /FEATURES=SQL /SECURITYMODE=SQL /INSTANCENAME= MyInstance"

When I connect to my SQL using Management Studio  I select:
ServerType: Database Engine
ServerName: MachineName\InstanceName
Authentication: Windows Authentication
User: MachineName\Administrator (Greyed out)
Password (AdministratorPassword) (Greyed out)

The above settings allows me to connect to the server just fine.
So when I tried using the component, I assumed that in this line:
<util:User Id="SQLUser" Name="TEST\Administrator" Password="MXXX1XXXX" CreateUser="no" />
Name = MachineName\Administrator
Password = AdministratorPassword
I seen examples where this is set to:
<util:User Id='SQLUser' Name='[SQLUSER]' Password='[SQLPASSWORD]' />
But I assume that I can replace the [] with actual values, no?

The rest of the code, if I understand correctly, is going to try to create a database called 'Foobar' connecting using the credentials specified above
Is the Server value not defined correctly? Should I use "LocalHost" or MachineName\MyInstance? I'm pretty sure I tried every combination I could think of with no luck.
            <sql:SqlDatabase Id='SqlDatabase' Database='Foobar' User='SQLUser' Server=".\sqlexpress" Instance="MyInstance"
              CreateOnInstall="yes" DropOnUninstall="yes" ContinueOnError="yes">
And then run the script to create a table, etc.
              <sql:SqlScript Id="CreateTable" BinaryKey="CreateTable" ExecuteOnInstall="yes" />
            </sql:SqlDatabase>

Any help is appreciated.
Best