[wix-users] ApplicationPool: start mode AlwaysRunning

Joseph L. Casale jcasale at activenetwerx.com
Wed Oct 25 11:26:08 PDT 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-users [mailto:wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org] On Behalf
Of Carlos Sosa via wix-users
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 11:31 AM
To: WiX Toolset Users Mailing List <wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Cc: Carlos Sosa <carlos.sosa.us at outlook.com>
Subject: [wix-users] ApplicationPool: start mode AlwaysRunning

> Hello I was able to create a website and app pools, but I need the
> ApplicationPool start mode set to: AlwaysRunning instead of OnDemand.
> Is there a way to do this with WIX?

The IIS schema only provides so much and with that in mind, it's quite restrictive.
For my work where sites are installed with a myriad of binding combinations and
a plethora of parameters only available once installed, I wrote two CAs that
handle this.

I author the same IIS template in the WIX source regardless of the requirements,
the first CA inspects runtime properties and manipulates the MSI tables to force
the site installation as desired. The second CA runs after the sites are installed
and simply wraps ServerManager to modify parameters are required.

The second CA is deferred, so I serialize data into a property and use a type 51 CA
to make the data available.

jlc