[wix-users] Upgrade Related Questions

Jason Beck mrbass21 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 09:32:41 PDT 2017

Edwin offers some great advise, so this is in expansion to that.

I would recommend picking up Wix 3.6: A Developers Guide to Windows
Installer XML
(https://www.amazon.com/WiX-3-6-Developers-Windows-Installer/dp/1782160426/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508948526&sr=8-2&keywords=wix+a+developers).

Even though it's for version 3.6, most of this book is still relevant (
author a simple windows installer but I haven't found anything in the
book that's "out of date" in the book). Better yet, it has a great
opening section that describes in easy to understand terms what specific
things mean and how the Windows Installer process works.

This was how I got started in WiX, and honestly I would have still been
a little lost reading documentation to understand from a 0 knowledge
starting point how things work. This is just what worked for me. If
you're having difficulty understanding the WiX documentation/through
experementation or what's going on, pick up this book and read the first
few chapters and it might help get that jump start on Windows Installer 101.