[wix-users] Upgrade Related Questions

Edwin Castro egcastr at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 09:19:43 PDT 2017

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 4:59 AM, Joseph L. Casale via wix-users <

I understand the Windows Installer documentation is huge and difficult to
read but that really is your first stop for understanding how the Windows
Installer works.

For Patching and Upgrades in general, see
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa370579.aspx

For Major Upgrades specifically, see
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa369786.aspx

Remember that WiX is just an authoring tool for creating Windows Installer
packages. You really need to understand how Windows Installer works to use
WiX effectively.

The root page for the Windows Installer documentation is
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/cc185688.aspx

While the examples the Windows Installer documentation are not WiX
specific, I found them to be helpful in understanding how everything
worked:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa372837.aspx

"An Upgrade Example" might be helpful:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa367564.aspx

When I was first learning, I worked through implementing the examples using
WiX. That experience really helped me understand because I needed to
translate what I was reading in the Windows Installer documentation into
the equivalent syntax in WiX. I think everybody using WiX should go through
that experience. There really is no better teacher than hands-on learning.

--
Edwin G. Castro