[wix-users] FilesInUse event

Hoover, Jacob Jacob.Hoover at greenheck.com
Tue Oct 24 13:54:33 PDT 2017

You could write a CA that could scan for known running processes and then schedule it deferred, and if a process is found then invoke MsiProcessMessage to give the user an option to abort/retry/ignore.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa370354(v=vs.85).aspx

MsiProcessMessage(hInstall,
                  INSTALLMESSAGE(INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR|MB_ABORTRETRYIGNORE|MB_ICONWARNING),
                  hRec);

Note, don't use a message box directly from the CA, as that could block on silent transactions.