[wix-users] installation procedure

abi navigator abi.navigator at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 14:48:32 PDT 2017

Ok, thanks for clarification. However since I'm moving to wix (currently
using other tool for setup generation) files that are part of the setup
already
have GUID values which are different to one generated with wix. So even wix
generates a constant GUIDs, I still need to support previous setups.

I've tried to detect if selected installation directory already has a
specific file (from previous installation) and then use RemoveExistingProducts
action.
Here is my code snippet:
<Property Id = "FILE_EXISTS">
  <DirectorySearch Id="MyInstallationFolder" Path="[INSTALL_FOLDER]">
    <FileSearch Name="MyApp.exe"/>
  </DirectorySearch>
</Property>
where INSTALL_FOLDER is an installation folder, selected by the user.
But it seems that Property is evaluated even before installation folder is
known.
So how can the property be evaluated before/after InstallInit?

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 3:01 PM, Tobias S via wix-users <