[wix-users] FilesInUse event

Roland K rolandkieslinger at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 02:24:43 PDT 2017

I didn't know about the two different file lock types, so thanks for
explaining!

Let me clarify my intent: If somebody tries to update an existing
installation and there are still apps started, which should be getting
updated, then I want the user to close the apps. This should release the
file locks, whatever they are soft or hard. To achieve this, I thought I
can use the "FilesInUse" event to get the locked files/apps and then be
able to notify the user. I can't close the apps programmatically for
various reasons.

Is there another way to detect if there are some files soft/hard locked, so
I can notify the user and tell him, which apps he has to close to continue
with the update? Or can I change the behaviour of the msi installation, to
get the event raised on both lock types?

There's one thing, I don't understand: I have a virtual machine with only
win 10 installed. If I install our setup and try an update on that, I get
the FileInUse event raised in about 20-30 % of the time. So I really try to
do the same on every test (resetting the virtual machine to a checkpoint
before), but sometimes I get the event, and sometimes not.