[wix-users] WiX installed side-by-side

Colin Sim Colin.Sim at ipfx.com
Tue Oct 10 14:19:41 PDT 2017

I see that in-order to support building with different versions of WiX we have to do commit the WiX binaries into our own source control as documented <a href="http://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/msbuild/daily_builds.html">here</a>.

I don't think this is a particularly nice solution (for the same reason why we don't commit MSBuild tools or Visual Studio into our source control). Is there a reason why there isn't a different Upgrade Code for each version of the WiX installer? I guess that's all that's required to avoid removing the previous product.

The installed directory changes for each version (e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\WiX Toolset v3.10" for WiX 3.10 and "C:\Program Files (x86)\WiX Toolset v3.11" for WiX 3.11), which suggests to me that 3.10 and 3.11 are different products. Otherwise why isn't the WiX content installed into the same directory? Each release in the 3.x version should be backward compatible, that way using a newer version of WiX for as an example our trunk, wouldn't need us to upgrade WiX for all our past branches.

This e-mail contains IPFX information which may be privileged or confidential and is intended for use only by the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, note that disclosing, copying, distributing or using this information is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please advise immediately to the e-mail address above and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. We monitor our e-mail system and may record your e-mails. Thank you.