[wix-users] Basic Questions on WiX

Christopher Painter chrpai at iswix.com
Wed Oct 4 14:17:41 PDT 2017

Rob or Bob could probably answer what they were thinking but to me it probably went something like this.

WiX source code can be used to create different types of windows installer artifacts:

Product

Merge Module

Patch

Fragment

Bundle (came later)

Of these 5 primary first class citizens, only two of them had need for the Package element.  So therefore it likely made sense to make the Package element a child element only where it was needed.

#2 I'm a 1033 guy myself so I can't really give much input here.  I have very rarely delved into localization.

#3  Please see: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa370568(v=vs.85).aspx

#4 A string in one of several compatible GUID formats but a GUID none the less.

#5  The compiler transforms them into the correct format.  You can see this by editing the built MSI using ORCA.

#6  IMO you should download and install IsWiX and use the project templates instead. :)   (I'm the author)  See:

https://github.com/iswix-llc

My project templates and graphical designers really make coming up to speed a lot easier.  If you out grow them  you can stop using them or extend them using fragments and other constructs.  Keep it simple where it's simple and get more complicated where you need it.