[wix-users] A question about newly created environment variable on Windows 10

Gerhard Matzen gmatzen at osisoft.com
Mon Oct 2 13:10:49 PDT 2017

In my installer I have a custom action that makes the following call.  I'm not sure if there is a better way to deal with this, but it would solve your problem.

   //Call SendMessageTimeout with WM_SETTINGCHANGE so that environment variables are picked up by the
   //next command promp that is opened.  The Wise for Windows install kit installs environment variables directly
   //in the registry.  This call informs the system that something has changed.
   DWORD_PTR tempresult;
   LRESULT bSuccess = SendMessageTimeout( HWND_BROADCAST, WM_SETTINGCHANGE, 0,
                        (LPARAM)"Environment", SMTO_NORMAL, 1000, &tempresult );