[wix-users] Question about Msi Upgrading

Tom Ofek Kafka tom.k at walkme.com
Mon Oct 2 06:13:29 PDT 2017

Hi,

I have recently started using wix toolset (311). I am trying to create an
installer that will remove the previous versions of my product.

Using the "Upgrade" or "MajorUpgrade" tags in the product.wxs file does
normally do the trick.

However, here is my problem: I used to create msi files with visual studio
installer. And now, when I create an MSI using WIX, it does not uninstall
the MSI that was created with visual studio installer, even though the
"UpgradeCode" is the same in both files. I thought that "UpgradeCode" is
the only parameter used to detect older versions in the machine. So my
question is - Is it possible to use wix to remove  an older version of a
non-wix msi? If not, what are my other options?

Thank you!

Tom.